This has been a long campaign, and I’m sure we all want to put aside stadium talk for a while and focus on the rest of the Chargers’ season. Our team, with its mix of veteran leaders and young stars, has played some of the most exciting football in the NFL so far, and I can’t wait to see how we do throughout the rest of the season. Our players have shown great heart and resilience in the NFL’s toughest division. I’m eager — as I’m sure you all are — to give the stadium debate a rest and enjoy some Chargers football.
So I’m going to put aside any discussion of our possible next steps until after the season, to allow everyone to focus on football and to give my family and me time to think carefully about what is best for the future of our franchise. Over the coming weeks you may hear news about steps that we must take to preserve all of our options. But please know that I don’t intend to make any decisions until after the regular season ends and that, in the meantime, I hope to enjoy with you one great Chargers game after another.
“At this point, all we can do is continue to fight for a fair contract on behalf of our client, as we do for all of our clients. The Chargers can focus on trying to sway public opinion, but our focus will remain on our client and securing a contract for him that is fair and consistent with his draft position.”
NFL Media’s Steve Wyche reported last month that the main issue between the club and Bosa is regarding how guarantees will be distributed. A source close to Bosa told Wyche at the time the pass rusher would like his bonuses all up front. The Chargers don’t want to set a precedent in how they structure contracts.
The Chargers have lost four games by a combined 14 points this season, making them just the fifth team since 1940 to start 1-4 with a point differential of 10-plus or better. Their ability to score points is no fluke, as San Diego has ripped through secondaries with a highly frisky air attack. Despite losing weapons Keenan Allen, Stevie Johnson and Danny Woodhead, the Bolts are one of just two NFL teams averaging 30-plus points per game. The Falcons — who knocked off the Broncos last week — are the other, but these are vastly different attacks. While Atlanta piled up yardage and points by matching their speedy, pass-catching backs against Denver’s inside linebackers, the Chargers don’t have the bodies to duplicate that game plan. San Diego’s offense is based around occasional big plays from boom-or-bust runner Melvin Gordon and a vertical passing game that has leaned heavily on three-wideout sets all year. That won’t change on Thursday night.
The Broncos hoped to run the ball early against Atlanta, but the game script took them elsewhere with C.J. Anderson and rookie Devontae Booker combining for just 64 yards. Ground yardage won’t be easy against a Chargers defense allowing an eighth-best 83.4 yards per game without a single team topping the 100-yard rushing mark through Week 5. That should lead to Siemian picking away at San Diego’s 28th-ranked pass defense with lobs to Emmanuel Sanders (who leads the team in targets and receptions) and Demaryius Thomas, who has a touchdown catch in three straight games for the first time since 2014.
The Los Angeles Chargers brought out the Southern California star power on their first day of training camp, inviting Los Angeles Lakers legend and Orange County resident Kobe Bryant to their training facility in Costa Mesa.
No word on what the future Basketball Hall of Famer told the Bolts as they embark on their first season in the Greater Los Angeles area, but we imagine it went something like this.
“The feedback was immediately positive,” said Charles, according to NBC San Diego. “I got chuckles, people were laughing, there were guys saying ‘I wouldn’t move them for X amount of dollars.'”
One assumes the Chargers will eventually find someone to do the job. NBC San Diego reported that a gig of that scope could come with a price tag in excess of $100,000, and people have businesses to run and bills to pay.
Cleveland has dodged the horrors of 0-16. Instead of becoming an inglorious footnote in the NFL history books alongside the 2008 Lions — and the enduring target of snark-dripping bloggers east to west — the Browns, at last, played four full quarters to upset the Chargers in a tilt that might cost coach Mike McCoy his job in San Diego. Cleveland’s win certainly takes tremendous pressure off coach Hue Jackson and the team’s new front office as they head into Year Two of their bold rebuilding plan. But will Sunday’s win cost them the No. 1 overall pick?
Philip Rivers and the Chargers zipped down the field for on an easy touchdown on their opening drive, but San Diego’s offense struggled from there against a Browns defense that — while not generating a sack — made life difficult for the veteran. Rivers (24-of-47 passing for 321 yards) threw a costly first-half pick to cornerback Jamar Taylor before returning in the second half to lob touchdown strikes to Tyrell Williams before San Diego’s final five marches failed to produce points. For the first time in months, Cleveland’s secondary operated as something other than an open prairie land. Without question, the absence of running back Melvin Gordon hurt a Chargers team that ran for just 35 yards at 1.9 yards per rush.